Collagen is one of the most important structural substances in the body, accounting for 25% to 30% of its total protein. The body’s ligaments, tendons, bones and skeletal muscles are all held together by collagen, as well as by smooth muscle tissue including blood vessels, digestive tract and organs. It is also the main component of hair, skin and nails. As we age, the body loses its ability to make collagen, and it starts to break down. This is why our skin sags and wrinkles, hair becomes thinner, joints are stiff and less flexible, and our bodies become limp and have less tone.
Collagen is an essential nutritional component for those wanting to remain healthy and active throughout their lives. Everyone can benefit from taking collagen. Diet, age, stress, digestion, hormones, environment and physical activity all affect our ability to provide the body with the nutritional building blocks necessary to manufacture and support collagen synthesis as well as support joint, bone and skin health.
Collagen Peptides – Premium Building Blocks
Collagens are the most plentiful group of macro-proteins in humans and animals, and they perform numerous important structural functions within the body. Collagen peptides are quite different from other protein sources, and, due to their tensile strength, these unique fiber-shaped proteins play an extremely important role in ensuring strength and resiliency.
Collagen peptides contain a unique combination and ratio of high-nitrogen amino acids, specifically glycine, proline and hydroxyproline. Research has shown these peptides stimulate the regeneration and growth of cells present in bones, joints and skin and may hold important keys in research and applications moving forward.
Collagen’s excellent properties are the result of its amino acid composition and molecular structure. There is a strong interest in collagen supplements, as recent clinical scientific advancements have accumulated evidence of the essential role of collagen in the health of connective tissues such as joints, ligaments and tendons, as well as bone health, digestive health, skin dermis and blood vessels. Collagen holds great promise as a key ingredient applicable to a wide spectrum of consumer applications including beauty, optimal aging, weight management, sport performance, muscle support and active lifestyle.
Science has identified 28 different types of collagen. Type I collagen comprises about 75% of the body’s collagen glycoproteins and is actually the principal type found throughout the body. Collagen plays a vital role in the functions of nearly all of our system organs and tissues and is a key bioactive to renew cells in all areas of the body, including the hair, skin, nails, eyes, teeth, cartilage, bones, tendons, organs, blood vessels, intestines and more.
Marine collagen is type I collagen and contains distinctive peptides that stimulate cells in the skin, leading to collagen synthesis through cell activation and growth. Collagen occurs in many places throughout the body, and collagen types I, II and III are the foundation of many tissues. Collagen type I is abundant in the skin, tendons, ligaments, bone, teeth and connective tissues. Collagen type II is abundant in the cartilage and eyes but comprises less than 10% of the body’s total collagen. Collagen type III is abundant in the muscles, blood vessels and skin. All together, collagen types I and III make up 80% to 90% of the collagen in people.
Type I collagen is best known for providing the basis for beautiful skin, strong connective tissues and healthy bones. But the real advantage to collagen supplementation lies in its ability to enhance regeneration of the collagen cycle and stimulate cells to restore body tissues. A building block for all the body’s systems, it also is a major component of membranes that surround and protect the internal organs, and of blood vessels, ligaments, tendons and bones.